Friday, March 7, 2008

Who We Are, Where and When Do We Meet, and What to Bring

All the information below is still accurate.  Last updated on July 23, 2014

Who We Are
This is knitting class/knitting circle offered at the Fairview Branch of the Santa Monica Public Library.  There is no set curriculum; rather, students move at their own pace.  I  teach non-knitters how to knit and help those who already know how to knit to interpret pattern instructions and learn new techniques.

I welcome students ages 8 and up.  Children may participate alone or have fun learning with a family member or caregiver.  Please note all children must be able to work independently, sit quietly, and follow instructions.  Children who are not accompanied by an adult must be comfortable being left alone.

Usually 10-14 people attend, 9-11 adults and 1-3 children.  I move from one to another giving help as needed.  With new knitters, l concentrate on getting them started but everyone should have a book or other activity for the times when he/she is stuck and I am helping someone else.  Please don't let the large numbers scare you; most of them are long time knitters who only need occasional help from me.  However, please also be aware that I may not have time for lengthy, complicated issues.

I am a volunteer knitting teacher, not a designer.  I will help you interpret a pattern but I do not create patterns or copy existing items.

Where and When Do We Meet
The Fairview Branch is at 2101 Ocean Park Blvd., on the corner of 21st St. and Ocean Park Blvd. in SE Santa Monica.   If you come by car, be careful where you park because the library is located next to a permit neighborhood.  The Big Blue Bus Routes 8, Crosstown, and Sunset all stop within a block of the library.

We meet year round on Mondays 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the Community Room--enter through the children's section. Please note the library is closed several Mondays a year to observe holidays. Because students move at their own pace, you may drop by any day and arrive any time during class.  We do end at 6:30 p.m., however, so it is best to arrive no later than 6:00.

What to Bring
If you already know how to knit, and if you have them already, please bring light colored, smooth, worsted weight yarn and size 7, 8, or 9 needles to the first class but please do not buy anything new.  I have materials in class for new students to learn on.  I also have a handout that lists suggested materials to buy for those who enjoy knitting and wish to purchase yarn and needles.

If you already know how to knit but need help, bring your current project and a copy of your pattern.  I highly suggest you have a working photocopy of your pattern so that notes can be taken on the pattern.

No comments: